The RAD7 is a sophisticated measuring instrument widely used in laboratories and research work around the globe. It is used by professional radon testers, mitigators and home inspectors, as well as by research scientists studying groundwater, mines, deserts, the ocean and volcanoes at extreme temperature. A rugged carrying case encloses the instrument, ensuring reliability in the field.
The RAD7 is the easiest electronic radon detector to use, with preprogrammed setups for common tasks. The instrument comes complete with a built-in air pump, rechargeable batteries, and a detachable wireless printer. The RAD7 can store large amounts of radon data for later printing and/or for graphing and analysis on a computer using DURRIDGE’s powerful and free CAPTURE software.
The RAD7 is a Sniffer that detects the 3-minute alpha decay of a radon daughter, without interference from other radiations. It also detects the instantaneous alpha decay of a thoron daughter for rapid thoron measurements. The instrument can sniff for entry points and radon gushers, and it recovers from high radon exposures in minutes. The RAD7 is also a Continuous Radon Monitor which can measure the EPA action level of 4 pCi/L, with 10% standard deviation, in under two hours. At the end of each run, the detector prints out a complete report.
The included accessories are sufficient for the measurement of radon and thoron in air. Additional, optional accessories are available for the measurement of radon in soil gas and water, for the measurement of the emission of radon from surfaces, objects and bulk materials, and for other specialized applications. See the Products Overview page for details.
Precision and Performance
- Fastest response and recovery times of any electronic monitor/sniffer on the market.
- Measures EPA action level of 4 pCi/L in under two hours.
- Recovers from radon highs in minutes – not hours.
- Spectrum printout verifies correct operation of instrument in field.
Convenience and Ease of Use
- All-in-one complete, compact, portable unit in rugged carrying case.
- The instrument directs you step by step, so you can do what you want to do.
- Programmed set-ups for often-used tests.
- Audible radon and thoron counts lets you hear the hot spots.
Security and Flexibility
- Tamper-proof key-lock command secures your RAD7 and assures uninterrupted testing.
- Easily portable: The RAD7 weighs 9.6 pounds (4.35 kg).
- Displays, prints, and downloads radon data in your choice of units.
- Immunity to build-up of 210pb.
Expandability and Value
- Includes wireless printer and infrared data link for on-the-spot printouts.
- Available with a wide range of optional accessories for measuring radon in water and below ground.
- Versatile connectivity with an RS-232 port and USB adaptor
- Includes CAPTURE software for data retrieval and analysis. Full Windows and macOS compatibility.
- Includes rechargeable batteries and extensive documentation.
Testing for radon in soil gas with the RAD7. Research overseen by Kizito M. Opondo, Kenya Electricity Generating Co. Ltd.
Geologist Kenneth Sims using a RAD7 on the rim of a volcano. Photo by John Catto.